Nine Mile Point

Nuclear: An Ideal Foundation for Our Clean Energy Future 

Nine Mile Point Units 1 and 2 in Oswego, New York, can produce up to 1,907 megawatts (MW) of zero-emissions energy, enough carbon-free electricity to power more than two million homes. Constellation owns Unit 1 and 82 percent of Unit 2 and operates the plant. Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) owns the remaining 18 percent share of Unit 2.

U.S. nuclear energy facilities are initially licensed to operate for 40 years and a Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) rule allows licensees to apply for extensions of up to 20 years after the initial 40-year term. Constellation submitted a license renewal application for this facility to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), which was approved on October 31, 2006. With license renewal complete, Nine Mile Point Nuclear Power Station Unit 1 is licensed through 2029, and Unit 2 is licensed through 2046.

Safety is Constellation’s first and most critical obligation. Nuclear power plants are among the best-protected private sector facilities in America, with monitoring and inspections by plant owners, local officials, and the federal government.

Learn more about the measures that we take to keep our employees, customers, and communities safe. 

Emergency Planning for the Nine Mile Point

We have been part of the Oswego County community for decades, providing hundreds of well-paying jobs and millions of dollars in economic support, including about $29.3 million in taxes annually for schools, roads, and other public services.

U.S. nuclear energy facilities are initially licensed to operate for 40 years and a Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) rule allows licensees to apply for extensions of up to 20 years after the initial 40-year term. Constellation submitted a license renewal application for this facility to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), which was approved on October 31, 2006. With license renewal complete, Nine Mile Point Nuclear Power Station Unit 1 is licensed through 2029, and Unit 2 is licensed through 2046.

Safety is Constellation’s first and most critical obligation. Nuclear power plants are among the best-protected private sector facilities in America, with monitoring and inspections by plant owners, local officials, and the federal government.

Learn more about the measures that we take to keep our employees, customers, and communities safe. 

Emergency Planning for the Nine Mile Point

We have been part of the Oswego County community for decades, providing hundreds of well-paying jobs and millions of dollars in economic support, including about $29.3 million in taxes annually for schools, roads, and other public services.